Canadian Wings of Rescue
Notifications
Clear all

*COMPLETED* Carp ON: K9 SAR Teams - MAY 26 Familiarization Flights: PP12, PP13, PP14, PP15

14 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Canadian Wings of Rescue
(@canadian-wings-of-rescue)
Member Administrators
Topic starter  

https://osarva.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/osarva_logo-e1662049783222.pn g" />

The K9 Teams of the Ontario Search And Rescue Volunteer Association (OSARVA) provide specialized support to ground search and rescue (SAR) teams in Ontario when required.

In an ongoing partnership, CWoR is excited to once again assist in offering familiarization flights for these K9 SAR Teams in the Ottawa area.  Start this years flying season off by helping us as we team-up with another volunteer organization that contributes so much to our local communities!

Overview:
It is important these teams allow their dogs to experience take-off, short flights and landing, all as part of their training/preparing for possible future deployment of the dogs using small aircraft. In general, the familiarization will also provide instruction on safety procedures in & around small aircraft including safe loading of the SAR dogs in/out of the aircraft with their handlers. There will be several 1 person 1 dog K9 SAR Teams. We are seeking a minimum of 2 aircraft; a high-wing and a low-wing aircraft to allow all SAR dogs to experience both forms of entry/egress on the ground. Each of the aircraft will be required to undertake a short flight.

Requirements/Transport:

The current proposed preferred date for this *REVISED* to FRIDAY May 26 2023 or alternate dates Friday June 02 or Sunday June 04) 

Please note for pre-planning the anticipated passenger load/weight is 1 adult passenger and 1 (large) dog per flight (actual weights TBC once pilots are assigned).
Assigned pilots must be comfortable with the dogs entering in/out of the aircraft and prepared to provide thorough ground briefings/explanations to the OSARVA teams.

Departure/Arrival Locations:
Carp Airport CYRP is the identified airport (each K9 Team will require a short approx. 15 minute local familiarization flight departing/landing back to CYRP)

Please reply if you think you are able to assist in getting this worthy special transport accomplished

Thank you!
CWoR Transport Coordinator

Canadian Wings of Rescue

Canadian Charity Registration # 808636088 RR0001

(@greg.campbell)
Member PILOTS Ontario Pilots

I'm in for this! I have a low wing aircraft (DA40). The only issue is that I have an appointment Friday morning (May 26), and the earliest I could be in CYRP would be 11:30 AM. Alternatively, either the June 2 or June 4 dates work for me.

ReplyQuote
Canadian Wings of Rescue
Member Administrators
Topic starter  

@greg.campbell   This is great and hopefully we can find some other pilots available and willing for May 26 and then we can make decisions about timing but I think that should be doable we will check with K9 Team lead.  

Canadian Wings of Rescue

ReplyQuote
Canadian Wings of Rescue
Member Administrators
Topic starter  

@greg.campbell    The K9 Teams can no longer be available May 26 would Sunday May 28 be an option for you?

Canadian Wings of Rescue

ReplyQuote
(@greg.campbell)

@canadian-wings-of-rescue Yes, Sunday works as well. I'll be interested to know the weights, as I may bring my daughter along for front seat ballast.

ReplyQuote
Canadian Wings of Rescue
Member Administrators
Topic starter  

@greg.campbell 

Thank you very much for this flexibility, we are hopeful other pilots will also offer to help as there will be several K9 Teams.   We are still working on details but they have 6 active K9 teams in this Area, but not all will be available and currently several of these K9 Teams are on a tentative deployment for Friday which is why the date had to shift.   However, the original request indicated the dog weights ranged between 50lbs-80lbs  and handlers weight ranges from 110-180lbs (each team is one Handler with one K9).  As we firm-up plans and assign pilots we can get more accurate/real numbers. 

Thank you again 

Canadian Wings of Rescue

ReplyQuote
(@greg.campbell)

@canadian-wings-of-rescue Sounds good. I can do multiple flights if needed, but hopefully someone with a high wing aircraft will also volunteer.

ReplyQuote
(@william.leung)

I have a Piper Cherokee (low wing) based at Carp. Could be available Sunday May 28 morning only before 13:30

ReplyQuote
(@william.leung)

Also available on alternate day June 4 all day

ReplyQuote
Canadian Wings of Rescue
Member Administrators
Topic starter  

@william.leung  Thank you!   

Sorry for the various date changes, but these K9 Teams were being deployed and then had a change in their plans as of late yesterday.

Therefore, this is to confirm and point out that the new date is now this Friday May 26 (approx. 11:30 meet/start time)  

Canadian Wings of Rescue

ReplyQuote
(@william.leung)

@canadian-wings-of-rescue I will come if able on Fri May 26; I am on call that day and schedule in flux. Currently would need to be done by 13:30. Who shall I contact on site?

ReplyQuote
Canadian Wings of Rescue
Member Administrators
Topic starter  

@william.leung, @greg.campbell, @peter.bartrem, @mark.bett

Thank you volunteering pilots!!  

Please note that we have now confirmed with K9 Team lead that CYRP for tomorrow morning May 26 is a "go".  

We have three aircraft confirmed that participated in the previous K9 Flights in Lindsay and adding William who locally is tentative but may also be able to join.   We will move these to "assigned flights" folder and provide flight number (PP#) for your tracking and @mark.bett will be leading coordination and will reach out to you directly if he has not already done so.

Canadian Wings of Rescue

ReplyQuote
Canadian Wings of Rescue
Member Administrators
Topic starter  

Thank you @peter.bartrem, @greg.campbell, @mark.bett, @william.leung to help with this special K9 SAR familiarization session!  

This will confirm the following flight transport and assigned flight number(s). 

Specific times/dates are subject to pilot discretion and will be confirmed/communicated separately.

Transportation ID/Flight Number: PP012

Pilot Name/Aircraft: Mark /C-GGFS

Passenger(s): 1 SAR K9 + Handler 

Departure Location:  Toronto CYTZ

Arrival Location: Carp CYRP 

Animal Rescue Contact:  Ottawa K9 Team Lead Kim Cooper

Transportation ID/Flight Number: PP013

Pilot Name/Aircraft: Peter /C-GDSJ

Departure Location:  Toronto CYTZ

Transportation ID/Flight Number: PP014

Pilot Name/Aircraft: Greg /C-GKMA

Departure Location: Ottawa CYOW 

Transportation ID/Flight Number: PP015

Pilot Name/Aircraft: William /C-GAOO

Departure Location: Carp CYRP

Canadian Wings of Rescue

ReplyQuote
Canadian Wings of Rescue
Member Administrators
Topic starter  

@greg.campbell, @mark.bett, @peter.bartrem,@william.leung

Thanks for the generosity of your time, skills and aircraft for the Ottawa Valley SAR K9 Team helping us help these amazing volunteers who dedicate their time to help others, we can never thank you enough.

If you have not already done so - please remember to complete the online post transport pilot form.

https://canadianwingsofrescue.ca/ptr/

Canadian Wings of Rescue

ReplyQuote
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop