Canadian Wings of Rescue
Notifications
Clear all

*COMPLETED* Lindsay ON - Peterborough ON return: MAY 16 - SAR Dogs: PP007/PP008/PP009

20 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Canadian Wings of Rescue
(@canadian-wings-of-rescue)
Member Administrators
Topic starter  

The K9 Teams of the Ontario Search And Rescue Volunteer Association (OSARVA) provide specialized support to ground search and rescue (SAR) teams in Ontario when required. 

In an ongoing partnership, CWoR is excited to once again assist in offering familiarization flights for these K9 SAR Team dogs. No better way to acknowledge the restart of our flight operations, then teaming-up with another volunteer organization that contributes so much to our local communities!  

Overview:
It is important these teams allow their dogs to experience take-off, short flights and landing, all as part of their training/preparing for possible future deployment of the dogs using small aircraft.  In general, the familiarization will also provide instruction on safety procedures in & around small aircraft including safe loading of the SAR dogs in/out of the aircraft with their handlers.  There will be four SAR dogs and each dog will have two handlers that must accompany the dog.  We are seeking a minimum of 2 aircraft; a high-wing and a low-wing aircraft to allow all SAR dogs to experience both forms of entry/egress on the ground.  Each of the four K9 teams will also fly from Orillia - Lindsay return (that is 2 adults, 1 dog per flight).

Requirements/Transport:
The [new] targeted date for this is May 16 2023 - 11:00hr start (weather permitting otherwise it will be rescheduled to a later date TBC May 18 or May 30 as backup dates)
Please note a requirement for pre-planning is 2 Adult passengers and 1 (medium) dog per flight  (weights TBD once pilots are assigned). 
Assigned pilots must be comfortable with the dogs entering in/out of the aircraft and prepared to provide thorough ground briefings/explanations to the OSARVA teams.  

Departure/Arrival Locations: 
Lindsay CNF4 is the identified departure airport with flights to Peterborough CYPQ and back as needed  

Please reply if you are able to assist in getting this worthy special transport accomplished and getting our 2023 season 'officially' underway!

Thank you
CWoR Transport Coordinator 

Canadian Wings of Rescue

Canadian Charity Registration # 808636088 RR0001

(@peter-bartrem)
Member PILOTS Ontario Pilots

I am interested and available on April 6th.

ReplyQuote
Canadian Wings of Rescue
Member Administrators
Topic starter  

Hi - thanks @peter.bartrem this great to hear!   We we will keep you updated as the date draws closer. 

We welcome other volunteer pilots to join as well as multiple aircraft will make this easier and we need both high and low wing aircraft.

Thank you again for volunteering and we look forward to working with you.

Canadian Wings of Rescue

ReplyQuote
(@greg.campbell)

I am available for this flight and have a low wing aircraft.

ReplyQuote
Canadian Wings of Rescue
Member Administrators
Topic starter  

Welcome @greg.campbell !   Fantastic news and thank you so much for volunteering your time and aircraft.

So far we have Peter and Greg (a low wing and high wing) BUT room for more as there are 4 SAR Teams so if you are interested or even wish to be on a back-up list do not hesitate to put your name forward for this great event. 

Canadian Wings of Rescue

ReplyQuote
John W .
(@john.wilby)

I'm willing to do the flight, but have a limitation of dog + single passenger, which doesn't meet your requirements.
If you have flexibility, let me know.
High wing aircraft....

ReplyQuote
Canadian Wings of Rescue
Member Administrators
Topic starter  

@john.wilby thank you so much for replying and offering your time and aircraft that's great.   We will definitely discuss what flexibility there can be with the Prov K9 Coordinator and appreciate this offer and note.

Canadian Wings of Rescue

ReplyQuote
(@greg.campbell)

@canadian-wings-of-rescue When you're speaking with the Prov K9 coordinator, please get the weights of the individuals and dogs on each team, so that us pilots can plan our aircraft weight and balance. Most likely we'll have to go with partially empty fuel tanks and plan for that based on the weight of our teams.

Thanks!!

ReplyQuote
Canadian Wings of Rescue
Member Administrators
Topic starter  

@greg.campbell thanks.  Understood and we have asked for that specific information.  Hopefully it will arrive soon, but for sure we will obtain asap and ensure you and others receive so proper preplanning can be done.  Thank you again for helping with this very special assignment!

Canadian Wings of Rescue

ReplyQuote
Canadian Wings of Rescue
Member Administrators
Topic starter  

Greg/Peter - 

The K9 Coordinator has confirmed their four teams (handler/dog/assistant) and teams as currently organized would be three teams each approx. 415lb total weight (2 adult women/1dog) and one group with 2 adult men/1 dog, which is 455 lbs. It is envisioned one passenger will ride in the rear seat accompanying the K9.   Looking for your thoughts on this make-up of teams etc.   Thank you so much for volunteering on this special assignment!

Canadian Wings of Rescue

ReplyQuote
(@greg.campbell)

@canadian-wings-of-rescue That's great! I will make sure I arrive with a little under half a tank of fuel. At that weight I will be able to accommodate the heavier team, as well as one of the lighter ones.

Now we'll just keep our fingers crossed for good weather 🙂

ReplyQuote
MJB
 MJB
(@mark.bett)

Amazing ! Thanks guys, looks like I should be able to also join to assist as well. Lets hope for good weather.
Greg I am already in touch with Peter ... do you have a number you can send (you can send a private message) and we three can connect on any details etc.

ReplyQuote
(@greg.campbell)

@mark.bett I've send you a message with my cell number.

ReplyQuote
MJB
 MJB
(@mark.bett)

@greg.campbell thanks got it !

ReplyQuote
Canadian Wings of Rescue
Member Administrators
Topic starter  

UPDATE - unfortunately the recent wave of unstable weather going through this area of Ontario has led to these flights being postponed to a time with nicer weather.   We will continue to work with the interested pilots and all the K9 Teams to find an alternate date.   Thank you to everyone who has been working behind the scenes in the planning for these familiarization flights. 

Canadian Wings of Rescue

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop