Canadian Wings of Rescue
Notifications
Clear all

*COMPLETED* Thunder Bay ON - St. John's NL: 1 Dog (Winnie - Special Needs) PP029

14 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
Canadian Wings of Rescue
(@canadian-wings-of-rescue)
Member Administrators
Topic starter  

We have an amazing dog with special needs who really needs our help. Unfortunately Winnie was left injured and abandoned in deplorable conditions but rescued and now has a loving adopter waiting to care for her in Newfoundland.

We currently have the following volunteer pilot for this transport @greg.campbell
We are aiming for August 11th to 12th.

Posting on behalf of Montego Bay Animal Haven for transport from foster home in Thunder Bay ON to forever home in St.John’s NL

Photo(s)  
Passenger: Winnie
Type of animal: Dog
Breed: Irish Terrier mix
Weight: 20lbs
Sex/Status: Female - Sterilized
Vaccination status: Vaccinations up to date as of March 10th 2023.
Transport Carrier/Crate: Preferably in a crate but not required. If a crate is used the dimensions would be 32"L x 22.5"W x 24"H
Special Handling: She is paralyzed so she doesn't use her back legs and is incontinent so she wears a diaper. She will need to be handled with care supporting her back legs and will need diaper change at appropriate intervals.

Transport Coordinator Remarks: 

Due to the longer journey and special needs, a relay with the cooperation of a couple willing pilots might be necessary.  
We are open to suggestions and hope anyone that can help will respond, if even only for a portion of a possible 'leg' to provide respite.

Thank you,

Selina
CWoR Transport Coordinator

This topic was modified 9 months ago 9 times by Selina Del Vasto

Canadian Wings of Rescue

Canadian Charity Registration # 808636088 RR0001

Clay B .
(@clay.berndt)
Member PILOTS Ontario Pilots

What’s the timeline for transport?

ReplyQuote
(@selina-del-vasto)
Member Administrators

@clay.berndt Ideally before August. However, there is flexibility as the dog is currently with a very cooperative foster.

ReplyQuote
(@greg.campbell)

I’m able to fly either the Thunder Bay to Ottawa leg, or Ottawa to St. John’s.

Can also do the whole flight if needed.

ReplyQuote
(@selina-del-vasto)
Member Administrators

@greg.campbell Thank you for the amazing offer Greg! Your help is really appreciated. Hopefully we can secure another pilot who can assist with the other leg of the flight. Once this is sorted, I will provide you with all the necessary details and ensure that you are well-prepared for the journey ahead.

ReplyQuote
(@selina-del-vasto)
Member Administrators

@greg.campbell Hi Greg! Can you please confirm what date you’ll have your plane back? 

ReplyQuote
Canadian Wings of Rescue
(@canadian-wings-of-rescue)
Member Administrators
Topic starter  

@clay.berndt Hi Clay we had thought about using you for the Eastern part of this flight. Not sure if you're up for that. Also note the special needs requirement for this particular passenger. /Anson

Canadian Wings of Rescue

Canadian Charity Registration # 808636088 RR0001

ReplyQuote
(@greg.campbell)

KMA is back around July 18th. By the 23rd at the latest.

MJB reacted
ReplyQuote
(@selina-del-vasto)
Member Administrators

@greg.campbell Hi Greg, I hope you're doing well. I wanted to provide you with an update on Winnie's transport. As we finalize the details, it looks like the first week of August would be the ideal timeframe for Winnie's transport. However, there is a possibility it might need to be arranged a bit sooner (last few days of July) to ensure the most convenient travel plans. We are fortunate to have the opportunity to take advantage of an empty returning flight with @clay.berndt , which enables us to get Winnie to you with ease. Timing will be crucial, and we want to ensure a seamless and stress-free experience for her. Just a friendly reminder, Winnie has some special needs, and we know you have the compassion and care to make her journey comfortable and enjoyable. Thanks again for your commitment and support. We are grateful to have you on board for this important mission and we can't wait to see Winnie safe and sound in her new home.

ReplyQuote
(@greg.campbell)

@selina-del-vasto Hi Selena. I just flew KMA back home today from London, so I am ready to help with Winnie whenever you need. Ideally I will take her to S. John's on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, since those days will allow my wife to accompany me and assist with Winnie. I have a low wing aircraft, so will need to lift Winnie up onto the wing and then into the plane, which can be a little awkward to do alone.

Upcoming dates which would work great for me include: July 29 or 30th. August 4, 5, or 6th. I can be flexible on flying other dates as well, I just won't have my wife to help me. I suspect much will depend on the plans of @clay.berndt, so I'll wait to hear what works best for him.

It would be great to get a briefing at some point to better understand how to best care for and ensure the comfort of Winnie, but we can arrange that once plans have been finalized. Is the current plan that Clay will bring Winnie to YOW, or another airport in the Ottawa area?

ReplyQuote
(@greg.campbell)

@selina-del-vasto Hi Selena. My wife reminded me of a prior commitment on July 29th. So, preferred dates are now July 30th or August 4, 5, or 6th. If none of those are possible, I can make any other date after July 29th work, I just won't have my wife to assist. Of course, always weather dependant!

ReplyQuote
(@selina-del-vasto)
Member Administrators

@greg.campbell Hi Greg! Thank you for letting me know and being so thorough. We are currently in the process of finalizing the dates. It is now looking like the window for the transport will likely be between August 7th and August 15th. Furthermore, I wanted to extend an invitation to you for an upcoming planning meeting on Sunday morning. Anson who is playing a key role in the combined transportation with Clay, is have a scheduled call with the pilots to discuss the trip, it would be great if you could join the discussion so we all have a better understanding and can get some more things sorted!

ReplyQuote
(@greg.campbell)

@selina-del-vasto Good morning Selina! The new dates work for me, again with the Friday/Saturday/Sunday being preferred, but not required. I will most certainly join the call with Anson to discuss the plans.

ReplyQuote
(@selina-del-vasto)
Member Administrators

@greg.campbell Sounds good! I will keep that in mind.

ReplyQuote
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop